I’ve been hearing a lot about something called oil pulling lately… It suddenly seems to be everywhere. Oil pulling is an Ayurvedic or folk remedy/practice where you simply put a glob of oil (coconut or sesame, though other will work as well) in your mouth and gently pull it between your teeth or swish it around for about 20 minutes. It should be done on an empty stomach and preferably in the morning before you really so much else. It’s supposed to have many benefits, including:
- Improved oral health. It supposedly helps with halitosis, decreases plaque, improves enamel, and whitens teeth. I’ve even seen some people claim that it can improve cavities or make them go away but I find that hard to believe.
- Acne relief/reduction
- Hangover and headache relief
- Toxin reducer/eliminator
- Pain reliever
- Sinus congestion and allergy relief
I have attempted oil pulling twice, both times at night, and within less than a minute I’ve just swallowed it because I love coconut oil. I am promising myself that I’ll try it tomorrow morning.
Though this kind of thing is something is usually be skeptical about I’m actually curious about it, and I kinda believe it might work. Coconut oil is the absolute shit with tons of benefits. A friend and I rave about it to another friend all the time. In fact, friend number one pulled some out of her purse the other day for us to lotion our hands. Then I think I licked my hands. Love it.
So, without further ado, here are a few uses for coconut oil, starting with my favorites in italics:
I just might love coconut oil more than baking soda and vinegar. So, what do you use coconut oil for?
**here are a few links to information about oil pulling:
- oil pulling: the habit that can transform your health”oil pulling: the habit that can transform your health
- 3 reasons you should try oil pulling